SARASOTA, Fla. (Sept. 9, 2019) – USF Sarasota-Manatee will offer a series of one-day workshops designed to enhance one of the most sought-after skill sets in today’s workforce: critical thinking.
The first of three one-day Critical Thinking Certification Workshops will be held Sept. 27 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in Room A320A. Additional workshops will be held at the same time and location Oct. 25 and Nov. 22 at USFSM, 8350 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota.
Workshops are open to all professionals, including CEOs, business owners, educators, managers, human resources professionals, entrepreneurs and lifelong learners. Early registration is $79 up to one week prior to registration. Regular registration is $99.
The registration fee includes lunch and the Watson-Glaser assessment. Participants must bring a mobile device to complete the online assessment. Visit sar.flywheelsites.com/ctworkshops to register. There is a limit of 25 participants per workshop.
“Based on my research and conversations, critical thinking is one of the most important skill sets for both the current and future workforce,” said Greg Smogard, PhD, assistant vice president of Innovation and Business Development at USFSM.
According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers’ Job Outlook 2018 survey, employers rated critical thinking/problem solving as the most essential competency among new hires.
The Critical Thinking Certification Workshops Series is modeled after USFSM’s highly-successful Incredi-Bull Critical Thinking (IBCT) program, an interdisciplinary, university-wide initiative that facilitates creativity and drives innovation. Now in its fourth year, IBCT has surpassed initial goals with more than 30 courses taught by nearly two dozen faculty, mini-grants to instructors and marked improvement in students’ critical thinking.
“We’ve shattered operational targets, showing that our faculty are excited about the program and are rising to meet the student demand for critical thinking skills and certification,” said Michael Gillespie, PhD, director of USFSM’s IBCT program. “We’ve found that the ability to solve problems and make decisions is often valued by employers even more than an applicant’s major.”
Each one-day workshop includes:
- Session 1: Watson-Glaser Critical Thinking Assessment
- Session 2: Watson-Glaser Development Report and Personal Work Plan
- Session 3: Critical Thinking: General Case Study and Discussion
- Session 4: Critical Thinking: Business Case and Discussion
- Session 5: Applying Critical Thinking to your Personal Development Plan
- Session 6: Post Workshop Progress Report
Workshop presenters include the following USFSM faculty and staff:
- Michael Gillespie, PhD, director, Incredi-Bull Critical Thinking Program and associate professor of Psychology
- Jenny Post, administrator, Incredi-Bull Critical Thinking Program
- Greg Smogard, PhD, assistant vice president, Innovation and Business Development
- Phillip Wagner, PhD, regional assistant vice chancellor of Academic Affairs
- Lisa Penney, PhD, professor of Management
For more information, contact Mike Gillespie at (941) 359-4228 or email@example.com.
For more information about USF Sarasota-Manatee, visit sar.flywheelsites.com/.