|Minimum Total Hours||40|
The USF Sarasota-Manatee Professional Master of Business Administration (MBA) is a 40-credit hour program intended for but not limited to working professionals. Classes are held on Saturdays and the program can be completed either on a full or part-time basis. The program offers working or non-working students in the Sarasota and Manatee County area geographical convenience, flexibility, quality, and affordability. A variety of instructional methods are used to engage students, depending upon the nature of the course material. These include case studies, experiential learning, group projects, presentations, and educational technology, as well as the more traditional lecture discussion approach. The focus of our approach to education is to help students develop the insights and skills necessary to reach integrative and innovative solutions to today’s complex business challenges.
The program is accredited through the University of South Florida’s College of Business, which is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International: In addition, the University is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
Assurance of Learning Goals and Objectives
Goal 1: Our graduates are ethical leaders of organizations.
Objective 1a: Our students will successfully influence and motivate others.
Objective 1b: Our students will interact and communicate effectively with diverse people.
Objective 1c: Our students will make ethical decisions.
Goal 2: Our graduates are strategic thinkers.
Objective 2a: Our students will apply and integrate knowledge of functional business areas.
Objective 2b: Our students will think critically to make effective business decisions.
Objective 2c: Our students will strategically analyze and plan in competitive environments.
Goal 3: Our graduates are innovative.
Objective 3a: Our students will develop creative and feasible solutions to business problems.
Goal 4: Our graduates are effective communicators.
Objective 4a: Our students will deliver oral presentations.
Objective 4b: Our students will write professional documents.
Applicants must meet the University requirements (see Graduate Admissions) as well as the requirements listed below.
Program Admission Requirements
- Upper-Level GPA of 3.00
- 500 or higher GMAT score or 1,050 or higher score if GRE taken before August 1, 2011 or 300 or higher if GRE taken after August 1, 2011.
- International applicants from non-English-speaking countries must also have a TOEFL score of 550 or higher on the written version, a minimum score of 213 on the computer-based test or a 79 on the internet-based test
- Two (2) years of full-time work experience preferred, but not required prior to enrollment.
- A resume
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
Student must be formally admitted or conditionally admitted into the MBA Program before being allowed to take courses.
Conditional Admission Requirements
An applicant who has not taken the GMAT/GRE may be conditionally admitted provided that s/he has
1) at least one (1) year of full-time work experience,
2) an undergraduate upper-level GPA of 3.00 and above, and
3) an undergraduate degree from an institution having an AACSB-accredited business school (EQUIS accreditation also accepted for international applicants) or membership in Beta Gamma Sigma.
Conditionally admitted applicants who earn a GPA of 3.20 or above in three (3) of the following courses within a year shall be admitted to the MBA program.
• Six (6) credit hours from any two (2) of the following three (3) credit hour courses: ACG 6026, ECO 6005, QMB 6303, FIN 6406
• Three (3) credit hours from the following three (3) credit hour courses: MAN 6055, MAR 6815, ISM 6405
Total Hours 40 credit hours
- Required Managerial Tool Courses – (24 credit hours): Students are required to take eight (8) managerial tool courses (3 credit hours each). These courses provide the basic skills in business administration. The techniques, theories, concepts, and tools learned in these courses provide the student with a strong foundation for the more advanced application courses to follow. Students who graduated with an undergraduate degree in Accounting from an AACSB accredited program within the last five (5) years may apply to waive the managerial tool accounting course (ACG 6026). In place of the waived course, students will take a three (3) credit hour application course in an accounting related area to earn the minimum 40 credit hours in the MBA program.
Course Number Title Credit Hours Requisites (KEY) Notes (KEY) ACG 6026 Accounting Concepts for Managers 3 None ECO 6005 Introduction to Economic Concepts for Managers 3 None FIN 6406 Financial Management 3 PR: ACG 6025, ECP 6702 ISM 6405 Informatics and Business Intelligence 3 None ISM 6436 Operations & Supply Chain Processes 3 PR: Basic Statistics MAN 6055 Organizational Behavior and Leadership 3 Graduate Standing MAR 6815 Marketing Management 3 None QMB 6303 Applied Business Analytics 3 None
- Required Application Courses (12 credit hours): In addition to the tool courses, students are required to take four (4) application courses (3 credit hours each) for a total of twelve (12) credit hours. Students can pursue either a General Business track or an Accounting track. The requirements for the two tracks are as follows:
General Business Track Accounting Track One (1) 3-credit hour Finance application course (FIN 6XXX) or Business Valuations (ACG 5375)and three (3) other 3-credit hour application courses from any of these courses: FIN 6XXX, MAN 6XXX, ISM 6XXX, MAR 6XXX, QMB 6XXX, ACG 5XXX, BUL 5XXX, TAX 5XXX Four (4) 3-credit hour application courses in Accounting, Law or Tax (ACG 5XXX, BUL 5XXX, TAX 5XXX).If a student is waived out of the accounting tool course, he/she will take a 5th 3-credit hour application course from ACG 5XXX, BUL 5XXX or TAX 5XXX and a one-hour directed study course
- Required Integrated Business Application Courses (4 credit hours): In the final semester, students must take the 4-hour capstone course.
Course Number Title Credit Hours Requisites (KEY) Notes (KEY) GEB 6895 Integrated Business Applications 4 PR: ACG 6026, ECO 6005, MAN 6147, MAR 6815, ISM 6021, FIN 6406, QMB 6305, FIN 6466, MAN 6726