State University System of Florida – Board of Governors 8.006 Civic Literacy
The Civic Literacy requirement applies to undergraduate degree-seeking students initially entering a State University System (SUS) institution fall semester 2018 and thereafter. Students must demonstrate competency in civic literacy through one of the following options prior to graduation:
(a) Successfully passing either POS X041 American Government or AMH X020 Introductory Survey Since 1877 in Fall 2018 or later. Each of the courses must include the following competencies:
- Understanding of the basic principles and practices of American democracy and how they are applied in our republican form of government;
- An understanding of the United States Constitution and its application;
- Knowledge of the founding documents and how they have shaped the nature and functions of our institutions of self-government; and
- An understanding of landmark Supreme Court cases, landmark legislation and landmark executive actions and their impact on law and society.
(b) Achieving the standard score on one of the following assessments:
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Naturalization Test – Civics (U.S. History and Government) with supplemental questions (available beginning fall 2018) – Score 60
- Advanced Placement Government and Politics: United States – Score 3
- Advanced Placement United States History – Score 4
- CLEP American Government – Score 50
TRANSFER STUDENTS: This requirement applies to all transfer students who are initially entering an SUS institution as an undergraduate degree-seeking student starting in Fall 2018, including those who transfer with an AA degree. All undergraduate degree-seeking students who transfer in from any institution outside the SUS, including private or out-of-state institutions, who have not satisfied this requirement through an approved course or assessment, must complete this requirement prior to graduating.