Veterans Services FAQ’s

Is there anything I need to do if I‘m dropping or changing classes?
If you are using VA benefits, have completed Clockworks, and are planning to drop or change a class, please contact the Office of Veteran Services first and notify when changing a class; even during the “add/drop” period, unless you have not completed Clockworks.

Will I have to pay back the money if I drop a class or a get a failing grade?
Only in some cases will you have to payback if you drop a class and your status changes from full-time to part-time. However, if you provide a VA reasons for withdrawl, you may be eligible for exemption. As for failing grades, they are not reported to the VA.

Will the VA pay for a repeated course?
The VA will ONLY pay the benefits for a repeat course, if the student did not previously earn a sufficient grade to pass. Students who earned passing grades do not qualify. However, if a student repeats a course more than two times, USF will charge out-of-state tuition fees and the VA will not cover those costs.

Do I have to certify my classes every semester? Do I have to be registered?
You must complete and submit a Benefits Request for certification to the Office of Veteran Services for every semester you wish to receive education benefits. You cannot request benefits until after you have registered for your classes each semester. The process to certify classes is through clockworks.

How do I know if I am a full-time or part-time student?





* Contact the Office of Veteran Services for more information about our summer semester.

For any additional FAQ’s, visit USF Tampa’s Office of Veteran Success

For more information, contact Todd Hughes at (941) 359-4291 or